This Handcrafted Whiskey Still is based on the same design principles as many Scotch whisky and Bourbon whiskey stills. It is also a close replica of the stills once commonly used in Scottish homes until the late 18th Century before prohibition. At that time many households had one of these for domestic use.
The characteristic features of this Traditional Whiskey Still are the onion expansion chamber or boil ball, the long conical neck and slightly downwardly inclined Lyne arm. The boil ball and column allows some of the vapor to run back as reflux, allowing for better separation and enriching the spirit.
The use of Copper in the Whiskey industry:
Only copper stills are ever used in making Premium Scotch and Bourbon Whiskies.
Copper plays an essential role in Scotch Whisky making, it adds character and sweetens the distillate whereas stainless steel distillates are often flat and insipid. Furthermore, Copper removes sulphur compounds present in the wash from the grains that would otherwise pass over to the distillate.
There is no other craft still on the market that matches our whiskey still for authenticity!
Premium Model manufactured with:
* Copper pot;
* Onion or boil ball with conical neck;
* Copper Lyne arm with quick release brass connectors;
* Brass case 40 to 110 ºC glass thermometer placed at the top of the column for accurate readings of the ascending distillate vapors;
* Stand and condensing recipient equipped with a water inlet tube located at the bottom and an outlet tube at the top where the water exits;
* Brass locking / unlocking unions between the lid, swan neck pipe and the condensing recipient to avoid the escape of vapors;
* Cast iron gas burner (Butane/Propane);
* Copper parrot spout (alcoholmeter sump) to aid in determining accurate cut-off points by reading the percent alcohol of the spirits flowing out of the condenser;
* All the Premium units have the identifying Al-Ambiq® plaque;
* Thicker copper sheets that require more manual labor and as a result become hand crafted master pieces;
* These equipments, if treated well, can last an entire lifetime.
Treatment: A first cleaning distillation is essential to clean impurities and other unwanted substances. These substances, which are inherent to copper, are deposited after the still has not been in use for a relatively long period of time.
The lid and pot need to be sealed off to prevent the escape of vapors. This is achieved with a very simple and rudimentary sealing technique;
Detailed information will be available to client after purchase is made.
Wish to read more on distilling?
|Material||Copper & Brass Handles|
|Height x Length x Width (mm)||1100 mm x 660 mm x 340 mm|
This product is handmade and as such real dimensions, colors, shapes, weights and capacities may vary slightly from those listed here.
The copper thickness refers to the copper sheet used in the manufacturing of the alembic.
The accessories listed here will help you to get the best out of your alembic and also to assist you with your distillation process.
If you order the items simultaneously on a single shipment, you will benefit from a substantial reduction of shipping charges.