Benefits & Advantages
Why do we use copper in our kitchen utensils?
- Copper is a metal that possesses important anti-pathogenic properties, preventing the risk of infections as well as food contamination by mycobacteria. Recent investigations show that the Escherichia Coli O157, an especially lethal variant of the E. Coli bacteria, dies after a few hours in contact with a copper surface. In stainless steel this bacteria may survive up to a month in the utensil;
- It is an excellent heat conductor, evenly distributing it all over the utensil, what makes us save energy. It also allows a great temperature control, since it heats and cools down nearly at the same velocity as the heating source;
- It makes kitchen utensils have the ideal weight, without being too light or too heavy;
- It is a pure and hygienic material, very easy to clean;
- It preserves food's nutritional values and their organoleptic characteristics;
- It prevents sugar from crystalizing, what makes it ideal for making sweets.
Why do we tin some of our utensils?
Some foods are acid and may corrode copper utensils or even react with them, releasing a toxic level of copper to the food.
For that reason we chose to tin some of our accessories, so that you can cook acid food without having to worry about your health and with the corrosion of your kitchenware.
Another reason is that tin is the closest metal to match copper in terms of heat conduction, i.e., your tinned utensil will heat at the same speed in its whole, as what happens with copper utensils.
Contrarily to what happens with copper accessories, from which you must remove food right after being cooked, in a tinned utensil you can leave them for as long as you want.