Glossary - S
- Typical Serbian Moonshine, brandy made from plums.
- Term that expresses the ability of a substance to dissolve in another substance.
- Result of the distillation of Mestar.
- This plant is native to China and Japan and is similar to aniseed although more potent .It has anti-inflammatory , antiseptic , calming, digestive, and diuretic properties. It is used in cuisine, for making essential oils and to flavour liqueurs. The main component of Tamiflu, the well known medication used against bird flu (H5N1), is star anis.
- Pharmacological agent that acts upon the central nervous system for increasing physical activity, increasing levels of concentration, mood and cognitive abilities.
- Carbohydrate found naturally in fruits and vegetables. Sugar may be made from sugar cane, sugar beet or corn. When added to a must or wash it accelerates the fermentation process. Invert sugar: Is obtained by heating sugar syrup and acidic substances to break down sucrose into its basic components - glucose and fructose. Raw sugar: This type of sugar is not fully processed. It may include demerara and muscovado which do not undergo the refining process.
- A strong mineral acid that is soluble in water and accumulates in alembics when not used for some time. High concentrations of this acid may be corrosive.